Translate

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Getting Down to Business

So, like I said, my main focus right now is getting this new house in order and getting back into the habit of keeping my home organized. Now that everything is unpacked (Yay!!) and all that is left is R's room and hanging decor, I'm getting back on track with taking care of my home.

I try doing this in little ways. I make a list of meals I plan to make this week so I can shop efficiently and cut down on last minute trips to the closest fast food place. I work on a home journal that houses all the different chores I want to do on each day. I keep a calendar with all the things going on through out the month, and then transplant them onto a mini calendar each week so I can see what is planned for that particular week. I keep a running list of things we need so that I can grab them as I run errands on a set day. I have all these little things that I try to make myself do so that my life can be easier and everything gets done.

There's a problem, though, I am truly terrible at keeping up with most of this. Life happens and everything else goes out the window. I remember doing really well with all of this for a while, then I started college again. Between a 30-60 minute commute depending on traffic, 7 classes a week, hours of homework, and infertility treatments, I was too tired to take care of anything. All of the work I had put into getting a solid system in place kind of disintegrated. Then I found out I was pregnant and the Hubs and I decided I would take a break from school to focus on preparing for R and then taking care of R. Since I wasn't going to school I figured I could really get back into the swing of things and get everything under control by simply reimplementing all the things that had worked in the past. By that point, our house was a disaster and I had underestimated how exhausted and sick I would feel in the first trimester. By the time I had energy again, we were looking to buy a house and dealing with that level of disaster felt pointless and daunting at the same time.

Well, now we've moved and I've had time to really evaluate where I've gone wrong in the past. I don't do well with paper. I don't do well with big giant jobs every day. I don't do well with opening that big binder because I know when I do I am going to get completely overwhelmed. I've learned that what works well for me is simple tasks that cover several areas instead of completely scouring one area. I work well with my phone because it reminds me to do my jobs and attend my meetings. My meal planning works pretty well as long as I'm not being lazy, which, let's be honest, I can be. So, I'm going to begin truly playing into my strengths.

On my phone I've downloaded the Google Tasks app, which incorporates both a to-do list and a calendar. I love that the tasks and appointments I put in can be repeated in different intervals. I have simply programmed in the little things I need to get done each day and set reminders for different times. I also love it for the calendar because, like the lists, I never think to look at the darn thing. With this I program appointments, dates, and events as soon as I learn about them. I enter the time, place, date, and set a reminder. So, my poor habits aren't as disastrous.

One of the big things that has helped me has been the Motivated Moms program. If you haven't heard of it, it's basically a PDF (or app if you have an Isomething, which I don't) that has a separate page for each week. On that page daily chores are listed for each day along with several tasks for each day. Based on everything I have said previously, this sounds like the last thing that would work for me. However, it works perfectly for me. The chores are so intuitive and the tasks are so simple! Literally, the daily chores include things like make the bed, feed the pets, run the dishes, wash laundry if it needs it, etc. Very simple. The tasks are even more simple. The real tasks take place Monday through Friday, with tiny tasks on the weekend. For example, every Sunday the tasks are Cut/Sort/File Coupons, Make a shopping list, and Pamper yourself. The particular Monday I am looking at says to Change dishcloth/towel, Change hand towels in bathrooms, Clean middle shelf of refrigerator, Inventory refrigerator contents and plan meals around leftovers, Vacuum main/public rooms or 1st floor, Vacuum furniture in family/living room, Clean toilets, Replenish stock of toilet paper in bathrooms. It looks like a long list, but it's all small things. I love that you aren't focusing on an entire room or area. I would be much more likely to clean a single shelf in the refrigerator than the entire thing. Also, it's not the end of the world if a task doesn't get finished, because it'll pop up again at some point. All in all, I can finish everything I need to do within about an hour. Being a stay-at-home wife and soon to be mom, I can plow through everything right after I get up. It's a solid hour of working, and then I have the rest of the day to do whatever I want. With the tasks being so small, they're easily broken up, so a working mom or wife can also easily get everything done. I can't express how much I love this program!

Once I fully have this implemented, I'll be able to really start doing a lot of the things I miss and want to do. I'll have time to crochet more, read more, focus on R when he gets here. All in all, I think it'll be really nice. What I want to start doing is posting my jobs for the day, how long it takes, and just keep myself accounted for. :) Wish me luck!

Homemaker's Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck I'm always here to be fully supportive of "new mommy and stay at home" adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you! :D I'm here to do the same! Have you started using Motivated Moms yet?

    ReplyDelete