Translate

Friday, May 11, 2012

Overnight Oats

I've seen a particular set of pins over and over on Pinterest, and finally decided to make it. The pins were for Summer Porridge or Overnight Oatmeal. The premise is brilliant! Simply mix all the ingredients in a mason jar, and stick it in the fridge until morning. Since becoming pregnant I eat a lot more breakfast, however I don't want to do much first thing in the morning. Because of this, my breakfasts tend to consist of a piece of fruit and, if I have it, a Greek yogurt. Needless to say, I felt this would be absolutely perfect. I could have real breakfast without all the work.

The particular recipe I followed came from Pepper Lynn.

Overnight Oats 
1/2 cup Rolled Oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (I was doing the strawberry banana flavour, and decided to use strawberry flavoured yogurt)
2/3 cup Milk
1  tbs Chia seeds (I decided to use flax since I couldn't find chia)

This is the basic recipe, from here you would add the specific amounts for the different flavours. For mine that consisted of:
2-2 1/2 tbs Strawberry Jelly
1 small banana, mashed



From here it's super simple, basically you put everything into a container, mix it up, and let it sit.


The directions say to mix in your flavourings the next morning, but I decided to do it ahead of time.

Here is the finished result:



Now, my thoughts...

I wasn't a huge fan. To be fair to the recipe, it tasted fine, the strawberry banana flavour was awesome. I had trouble with the texture and temperature. It was a bit, for lack of a better word, slimier than I would have liked. As for the temperature, it was cold, exactly as it is supposed to be... And I couldn't handle it. I felt the same way about it as I do about gazpacho, it tastes fine, but dang it oatmeal and tomato soup are supposed to be hot! Also, I recommend you steer clear of the flax seeds. They have a bit of a smoky flavour that just didn't fit with the fruit.

All in all, I think a lot of people would really enjoy this recipe... I'm just not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment