Translate

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Salsa Black Bean Soup

About a week ago I found a recipe for Salsa Black Bean Soup at Frugal Granola and knew I had to try it. Part of the decision was influenced by R and the fact that he had me craving anything even remotely resembling Mexican cuisine, but the other part was my need to find bean dishes that Hubs will eat. He is very adamant that he hate beans unless they are refried, and I am adamant that I can prove him wrong. For the most part, as long as they in no way resemble beans, I am correct. This was another dish I can add to the Beans Hubs Will Eat list.

Salsa Black Bean Soup
Serves 4
4 cups cooked black beans, drained (I used two cans, but you can also use 1 lb of dried beans soaked over night and cooked)
1 cup Chicken Stock 
1 cup Salsa* (The recipe came with an attached salsa recipe, but I used our favourite jarred salsa)
1 cup frozen corn (It will thaw in the soup.) 
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried mint
1 tsp. dried cilantro 
Sea Salt & Pepper, to taste
1 lb Stew Meat (This was not included in the recipe, but Hubs won't eat a meatless dish without large amounts of complaining!)
Toppings:
Yogurt or Cultured Cream
Thinly Sliced Green Onions
Grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese
Guacamole or Sliced Avocado (optional) 
Begin by browning your meat if you are using it. I seasoned our with a mix of cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder. 
Combine beans, broth, salsa, and spices in a blender, and blend until fairly smooth. I just put all of these straight into a saucepan and used my immersion blender. In my opinion it works just as well and is easier to clean.
Pour into a medium saucepan (if you didn't use my nifty trick), and add corn and herbs. If you have any extra cooked beans, you can add them at this time, too. (You can also add the meat now)
Heat over medium heat until lightly bubbling and heated through, stirring often to prevent sticking. Add additional chicken stock, if you prefer the soup to be a bit thinner.
Ladle into bowls, and serve with a selection of toppings.
*Chipotle Salsa
2 cups diced Tomatoes
1/4 cup diced Onion
2 cloves minced Garlic
2 tsp. minced Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (or just add a couple spoonfuls of the sauce, if you prefer a milder flavor) 
1/4 cup chopped fresh Cilantro
1 tsp. Taco Seasoning (or to taste)
1 Tbl. dried Basil
1 Tbl. Lime Juice
Salt & Pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients.  Flavors will meld if left sitting for a few hours, but it can also be served immediately.
I hope you all enjoy, I know we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment